Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nigella's moonblush tomatoes - the stuff of fairies



My daughter loves prancing around the house with wings on her back and a magic wand in hand, turning every corner of our appartment into a magic, enchanted world. She has made me endless potions to drink and my son has been turned into any mythical creature imaginable.


Perhaps those potions finally started wearing off on me, because I have a secret to tell. Did I ever mention I have magic powers? And because I am not a selfish fairy, I decided to share my magic with you, like Nigella did before me. Today I am giving you a secret ingredient that is so enchanted, it makes itself. With this ingredient you will be able to make endless quick, easy and magically tasty dishes.

How is that for a little magic?




Grab a wand (we have a lots of pink and sparkly ones if you need one), follow these steps and you will be able to cast the same spell. Do this at dusk, using nothing more than tomatoes and moonlight, the essential, magical touch.



In the morning you will find the sweetest, tastiest little red gems you have ever had. If you make these on the week end, you will be able to use them for lovely, super quick recipes all week. I made a farro salad with mint and moonblush tomatoes on Sunday and yesterday I baked some salmon filets smothered in these. I have used them in salad with feta or any other goat cheese or mozzarella. They make a wicked bruschetta and they work wonders on pasta with a drizzle of oil, some Parmesan cheese and a little pepper.



The possibilities are endless, why don't you suggest some?

Ingredients
500gr vine tomatoes or other smaller varieties (but you can cut up larger tomatoes too)
1tsp salt
1/4tsp sugar
1tsp dried thyme/oregano or other herb
olive oil

Preheat your oven to 220°C/425° F. Cut the tomatoes into half, sprinkle with the ingredients, gently toss to cover and place on a lined baking tray cut side up. Put the tray in the oven and switch off immediately. Leave in the oven all night, without ever opening.


12 comments:

  1. I am intrigued! A magic recipe! i'm not sure I could stand the anticipation...not opening the oven door would be very difficult for me! Looks like it's worth the wait...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha! I have some of those wants too! Such a perfect, beautful summer dish! Bet it smells amazing too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I can see where this is headed! And the aroma, heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole - that is the great part about making them before going to bed. You stick 'em in the oven before going to sleep and when you wake up, they are ready.
    Care's kitchen - You've got the wands, what are you waiting for?
    ToB - to be honest, not much of an aroma because the heat is so low but it does its job and concentrates all the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember making these and they were delicious. I was totally attracted to the name too which conjured up all sorts of images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating! My oven has this weird automatic 2 hour shut off thing though. I wonder if I could disable it somehow.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can just imagine the smell. Beautiful colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are fabulous! That salad you put together with them looks so good right about now. I'll definitely be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh what a good idea to do it overnight.. I just love the name - that Nigella is very good with words, I'll give her that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love this easy, magical recipe (although I would love one of those pink, sparkly wands, please). This is the best of Italian cooking (sorry, Nigella, but it is) and I can only imagine these used for Bruschetta and simple summer pasta. I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HH - that shouldn't be a problem since you turn off the oven immediately after putting them in. The key is not to open the oven door.
    Mango cheeks - hi there!
    Lorraine - how could NQN not have tried them?
    Ladybird, Julie, Jamie - they are certainly worth trying

    ReplyDelete
  12. love roasted tomatoes and these look like awesome roasted tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.